Monday, September 3, 2007

Since We Last Spoke...

Wow. Where to begin with a guy who borrowed his stage name from the cute, lovable droid from Star Wars? RJD2, who was a record collecting DJ nerd out of Ohio, began his music career DJing parties and making beats for the infamous MegaHertz crew until he was signed to Def Jux while shopping beats to record labels. I'm sure you've heard at least one of his cuts off his debut 2002 instrumental album, Deadringer in about 10 different Wells Fargo commercials.

While I treasure my autographed copy of Deadringer, I have a much higher appreciation of his second, more experimental album, Since We Last Spoke. I mean, he's sampling 70's sludge-rock, 80's synth, and combining it with funky hip hop beats and it fucking mashes together like ice cream and peanut butter (mmm...)!

Fuck all these "indie rock" musicians. This is what the future of music should sound like.

Exotic Talk
1976
Through The Walls

No comments: