Friday, September 21, 2007

A Bright Idea + some DJ abilities = Classic Material

I gotta represent with a post about a dope group from my hometown once in a while. Ever since Atmosphere blew up about four or five years ago, the majors have been stalking the Twin Cities for similar musicians to sign, but most artists here have stayed true to the independent scene that nurtured them.

One of my favorite DJ/MC duo outta St. Paul is Eyedea & Abilities. Both men are veterans of the battle arena (Eyedea's most notorious was winning HBO's Blaze Battle and Abilities has won DMC regionals) and breath fresh, relieving air into the hip hop game. Their debut album came out in 2001 which seems like so long ago when I reflect on it today, almost makes me feel old (*sob*). Seriously though, albums just aren't as stitched together and as cohesive as this one anymore. I love concept albums with a central theme and songs that weave together like a rug on a loom. This is how albums are supposed to be listened to! Back to back, no track skipping, no bullshit. Just beautiful music that evokes feelings you couldn't get any other way.

Music Music
Liquid Sovereignty
On This I Stand

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes undoubtedly, in some moments I can say that I acquiesce in with you, but you may be making allowance for other options.
to the article there is quiet a definitely as you did in the decrease delivery of this beg www.google.com/ie?as_q=microsoft windows black xp 8.0 ?
I noticed the phrase you procure not used. Or you profit by the dreary methods of promotion of the resource. I have a week and do necheg